Three kinds of length of dress according to Ellen G. White (EGW)

How the Dress Reform Was Revealed [FOR
AN INFORMATIVE PRESENTATION ON THE "REFORM DRESS"
ADOPTED IN RESPONSE TO THIS VISION, AND PREVAILING
CONDITIONS WHICH MADE SUCH A CHANGE DESIRABLE, SEE
STORY OF OUR HEALTH MESSAGE, PP. 112-130.]


Question.--Does not the practice of the sisters in wearing their dresses nine inches from the floor contradict Testimony No. 11, which says they should reach somewhat below the top of a lady's gaiter boot? {3SM 277.4}
Answer.--The proper distance from the bottom of the dress to the floor was not given to me in inches. . . .
278
But three companies of females passed before me, with their dresses as follows with respect to length: {3SM 277.5}
The first were of fashionable length, burdening the limbs, impeding the step, and sweeping the street and gathering its filth; the evil results of which I have fully stated. This class, who were slaves to fashion, appeared feeble and languid. {3SM 278.1}
The dress of the second class which passed before me was in many respects as it should be. The limbs were well clad. They were free from the burdens which the tyrant, Fashion, had imposed upon the first class; but had gone to that extreme in the short dress as to disgust and prejudice good people, and destroy in a great measure their own influence. This is the style and influence of the "American Costume," taught and worn by many at "Our Home," Dansville, N.Y. It does not reach to the knee. I need not say that this style of dress was shown me to be too short. {3SM 278.2}
A third class passed before me with cheerful countenances, and free, elastic step. Their dress was the length I have described as proper, modest, and healthful. It cleared the filth of the street and sidewalk a few inches under all circumstances, such as ascending and descending steps, et cetera. {3SM 278.3}
As I have before stated, the length was not given me in inches. . . . {3SM 278.4}
Relation of the Vision to Writing and Practice


And here I would state that although I am as dependent upon the Spirit of the Lord in writing my views as I am in receiving them, yet the words I employ in describing what I have seen are my own, unless they be those spoken to me by an angel, which I always enclose in marks of quotation. {3SM 278.5}
As I wrote upon the subject of dress, the view of those three companies revived in my mind as plain as when I was viewing them in vision; but I was left to describe the length of the proper dress in my own language as best I could, which I have done by stating
279
that the bottom of the dress should reach near the top of a lady's boot, which would be necessary in order to clear the filth of the street under the circumstances before named. {3SM 278.6}
I put on the dress, in length as near as I had seen and described as I could judge. My sisters in northern Michigan also adopted it. And when the subject of inches came up in order to secure uniformity as to length everywhere, a rule was brought and it was found that the length of our dresses ranged from eight to ten inches from the floor. Some of these were a little longer than the sample shown me, while others were a little shorter.--The Review and Herald, Oct. 8, 1867. {3SM 279.1}

Popular posts from this blog

Sabbath Cooking Excuses Investigated

Cooking on Sabbath for Seventh-day Adventists - Bible, EGW/SOP, Church Documents

Wearing Makeup -- Related Quotes from Bible and EGW Writings