Holy Land Tour

 Many feel that it would be a great privilege to visit the scenes of Christ’s life on earth, to walk where He trod, to look upon the lake beside which He loved to teach, and the hills and valleys on which His eyes so often rested. But we need not go to Nazareth, to Capernaum, or to Bethany, in order to walk in the steps of Jesus. We shall find His footprints beside the sickbed, in the hovels of poverty, in the crowded alleys of the great cities, and in every place where there are human hearts in need of consolation. {MH 105.5}

I am told that before finishing the life of Christ I ought to visit Jerusalem, the holy land. What made it holy? The Majesty of heaven clothed His divinity with humanity, and dwelt upon our earth. He was despised and rejected of men; in Jerusalem He was crucified by wicked hands. I have not the slightest inclination to visit Jerusalem, to see where it is thought probable that Jesus trod, where He may have labored, and where He may have been crucified. The means which might be expended thus I would prefer to treasure, that I may point souls to the Saviour risen from Joseph's tomb, and proclaiming, "I am the resurrection and the life." I can trace His footprints in the sure word of prophecy, and can obtain a better idea of His works and of His ways, than I could by visiting Jerusalem, defiled with unholy feet and unholy deeds. I could not expend money to visit these places when the living interests of Christ's kingdom are to be presented to the people. We are to teach the word of God, and to be doers of that word, which is represented as building upon the rock; the structure thus built will withstand the storm and the tempest, because it is founded on the eternal Rock.
I wish to see Jerusalem when the fires of the last great day shall have cleansed it from all sinful defilement. Jerusalem is now no more sacred to me than any other place on the globe. Wherever by his Holy Spirit Jesus makes known His presence, wherever his righteousness shines forth in bright and glorious beams, wherever his divine love illuminates the humble places of the earth, wherever his honor dwells, there I am pleased to be. Christ looks with sadness upon the delusions that ensnare human minds who are so eager to behold the place where His feet are supposed once to have trodden, and yet who do not heed His command, "Follow me," who do not walk in the light as He is in the light. A shadow is resting over Jerusalem, a terrible shadow, which I have no desire to come under. Everywhere a curse is visible, which I have no desire to look upon. I can see marks of the curse everywhere. To be able to say I have visited Jerusalem would not shed a distinct ray of light upon one soul. It would not enable me better to tell men and women what they must do to be saved. I present the word of God in truth. I listen to the precious lessons which Christ gave His disciples. In my mind the scenes of His ministry, the places where He taught by the lake side, and clothed with the solemnity and beauty which nature and the word of God have given them. I am content: I would not have darker pictures. I do not wish to look upon the desecrated shrines, with all the repulsive features that would meet my view. I would not be hired to behold the traces of the curse so evidently resting upon Jerusalem. I hope to see this spot when the earth shall be made new, when I shall behold Him whom my soul loveth, in His majesty and glory crowned as King of kings and Lord of lords.

I have not one word of encouragement for any person, neither have I money to impart to any person, to visit Jerusalem. PC 137.2 - PC 138.2

Popular posts from this blog

Cooking on Sabbath for Seventh-day Adventists - Bible, EGW/SOP, Church Documents

Sabbath Cooking Excuses Investigated

Wearing Makeup -- Related Quotes from Bible and EGW Writings